Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


Today Darrin was off and we had a nice relaxing day at home. The girls had some friends over and they played and played all day long. It was a little taste of Summer, and I can't wait until school is out!

I started to think this evening about what Memorial Day actually means. My father was a WWII vet and he took me to Arlington National Cemetery, to the Eternal Flame, to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. I guess he wanted me to understand and recognize that Memorial Day should have special meaning. He was subtle about it though. I didn't even realize he was teaching me until now, 6 years after his death. I am going to pass this on to my children and take advantage of all the "teaching moments" that life presents to us ever single day. Thanks Dad for this--and for serving our country.

No comments: